Inaugural Gown Inspiration

In light of last week's big inauguration, I thought we should take a look at some past First Lady inaugural gowns. It just so happened that I was in DC last weekend and ran into the American History Museum right before closing. I was really excited to go in because it has been closed for the past year and a half for renovations. Anyhow, the place looked amazing, and I ran to the second floor to take a peek at the First Lady section. I was a little disappointed at first because there weren't very many gowns, but I did manage to snap a couple photos. Please try to ignore the horrible flash photography.

Helen Taft's 1909 inaugural ball gown is the first gown showcased when you walk into the room. It is absolutely gorgeous (This photo does NOT do it any justice). It is made out of silk chiffon appliqued with floral embroideries in metallic thread and trimmed with rhinestones and beads. It was made by the Frances Smith Company. I could not believe how this gown sparkled!!!

The only other gown that inspired me wasn't actually an inaugural gown but an evening gown that Jackie O wore to a state dinner in 1961. The gown is made out of yellow silk with an overlay of crepe chiffon. Oleg Cassini designed it. I would wear this gown in a heartbeat!

I'm still so in love with the one-sided shoulder strap gown. I think it would make such a chic and classic bridal gown. I really want MILLIE to design one!