Seating Arrangements - Great FREE Online Tool

We decided to have seating arrangements at our reception for a variety of reasons. One reason is because I think it brings a slight formality to an event (although this could be all in my head ;p). And, from my own experience, it relieves a little bit of anxiety as a guests. I'm not left wondering where I'm going to sit, and whom I'm going to sit with - it has been decided for me (this can be both a good and a bad thing though ;). Another reason is because I wanted to make Votive Place cards for each guest :)

When it came time to planning out where the tables would go, and who should sit where, I thought I would do something similar to Monica on Friends…you know where she cuts out little round tables and uses different colours pins to place guests at the different tables? Well, it turns out I didn't have to do all of that cutting, because I found that there are a plethora of computer programs available to help me do this!

I think Microsoft Word has some sort of seating arranger, but I never figured out how to use it. And, although there are several great programs that you can purchase, I couldn’t justify the added expense (especially considering we were trying to keep within a budget :)

What I found instead was a FREE online seating arranger from the Bed Bath and Beyond website - crazy, eh?

www.bedbathandbeyond.com/regHome.asp?order_num=-1

When you sign up for a wedding registry with this store, they give you access to a "Bridal Toolkit" which includes a Seating Arranger program (amongst a multitude of other handy tools :) So, I signed us up online (even though we don't have a Bed Bath and Beyond anywhere around us, nor did we plan on registering for actual gifts from there…I just wanted the free seating arranger!).

It is a fabulous tool that allows you to place different sized tables, including things like a "Head table," cake tables, podiums, etc. etc. It also not only allows for a full view and printout of the entire table layout, but also a zoomed in version of each table and who is sitting where. I'm probably not explaining it as well as the website can - but it is a FABULOUS tool!





Make sure you leave some time to enter in each of the guests names and such…it can be a little tedious and time consuming - but once you’ve entered it all it, it is smooth sailing from there. After you've finished arranging your tables and your guests at them, you can just print off the whole shebang and hand it over to your Day Of Coordinator, Reception Coordinator, or your family and friends that are helping you setup the room :) It also has the added feature where you can print off your guest lists and include which guest is eating chicken or salmon, food allergies etc (if you offered menu choices). I can't tell you HOW handy this tool is!

I really had fun planning the seating arrangements (believe it or not) - the only really challenging thing that came up, was when I showed people the completed table arrangements. There were a few changes I needed to make…but no worries, I just hopped back onto the computer, made the changes and printed off a new copy - easy peasie!!!